Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Badminton Challenge

A couple of weeks ago, a new vice principal joined our school. He bearly speaks English but we do make an effort to talk to each other with my low level Korean and his low level English. He challenged me a a badminton match and the winner would have to buy the other a korean BBQ meal and a few bottles of soju. He was telling the other teachers how he would easily win since he was a gym teacher before being promoted to vice princiapal. I only have one year of real badminton training but I feel confident in my skills. The match was 3 sets of 21 points. I won the first set, lost the second and in the 3rd was down 14-19. I kicked in my mental game and brainwashed myself to believe I could come back. In the mean time, I did notice that my racket was broken and gave me an explanation why I was not doing as well in this set. Once I changed rackets, I came back and score 7 consecutive points to win the match 2 sets to 1. I was so happy since he was telling me that I needed to practice more before facing him in a match. I told him I was ready and that's why we played the match right away. This week, either on Wednesday or Thursday, I he will be taking me out with the gym teacher. I have to give so many thanks to the gym teacher for literally putting hours upon hours of time into training me this year. Without his help and skill training, I would have been destroyed in the match.

No comments:

Post a Comment